Sunday, January 17, 2010

3D Modeling Assignment Complete!

Alright! So I think this is what I'll be showing on Tuesday for the critique on our first assignment in 3D modeling. I would love to follow Cody's suggestion of adding a light source, but I've never worked with lighting in Maya before. When I learn I'll definitely add one to this scene and see how the city looks!

The default perspective I've been using:


This shot is to show the simple details I added to the skyscraper:


I liked the shot I used from the last post, so I did a variation of that:


Haha, Maya gave me an option to render the scene using "Maya Vector" and I thought it looked cool:



Since this isn't technically due until Tuesday, I still have time to make some changes if anyone has any suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. The extra detail on the skyskraper adds a lot of depth to it. Absolutely love the top-down shot(s), it has so much personality. I don't think you /need/ to do anything else to it, but something that might look good and break up the sky line of the medium sized buildings would be some 'shanties' on top, like utility sheds or what not.

    Lights are actually really easy to mess with in this horrible thing we call Maya.

    Create > Lights > take your pick!

    The Attributes for them in the attribute tab are pretty straightforward. It's mostly a matter of figuring out which one you like and which one works.

    Directional, Point and Ambient lights are all fairly easy to work with by adjusting their intensity and positioning. Directional is fun cause well... it's directional!

    Thanks for the comments on my models too. Extreme is exactly what I'm going for!

    Also, do you know which part of Maya you're most interested in yet? (modeling, rigging, animation)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will try to add something to the roofs of the medium sized buildings, the flat tops were starting to bother me a bit.

    Wow, I'm incredibly surprised that it doesn't take a series of complicated instructions and some coding to play with lights in Maya. :P I'll try experimenting with those, thanks!

    I took 3D animation during the last spring term, but I'm actually the most interested in modeling and rigging. I know nothing about rigging and I've heard it's quite difficult, but I'm really interested in it and I think it's a good skill to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, rigging, where for art thou!

    I've built skeletons and attached them to models, but I've never fully rigged something to completion. I always get distracted and put it off. You are certainly right about it being a good skill to have. In being able to rig your own models, you become aware of what does and what doesn't fly in terms of joints and model composition.

    It is however, covered in 'the book'. Have you seen it? It's the big blue one Miles has - Game Character Development with Maya. That thing is such a good resource. I still consult it regularly for a lot of different things.

    ReplyDelete