Thursday, October 7, 2010

First Meeting and Sketches

So Tawnee and I successfully had our first meeting today, huzzah!

The first thing we wanted to do was get a basic outline going for each character. It was a bit difficult at first because we wanted to have some sort of guideline without getting too specific. What we decided to do was have a really basic body type description and one open ended "rule" that we have to follow for each character. For both Ugly and Grotesque, Tawne and I have a few characters in mind that we'd like to adapt to our guidelines. The Nasty character is where we'll be conceptualizing something completely new. We came up with the following.

1. Ugly
Body Type: A skeletal type of skinny.
Rule: Some sort of bone structure must be visible.

2. Grotesque
Body Type: Big, bulky, muscular.
Rule: Oozing liquid substance, dripping.

3. Nasty
Body Type: A mix of both the skinny and bulky body types. We really want to try to push this character and challenge ourselves here.
Rule: Multiple body parts and/or misplaced anatomy. This works well with the mixture of body types, we could make multiple arms where some are large and muscular while others are small or shriveled.

We then had a little critique/suggestion session for our past characters that we would be incorporating into this project. It was really helpful for me to get Tawnee's input and I'll actually be implementing a few of her ideas into my characters!

After that we did some really fun visual research. We took a look at characters in both World of Warcraft and Allods Online. Tawnee and I will both be seeking inspiration from these characters and more:




After Tawnee left I started to do some sketching for the Ugly and Grotesque characters. I just started to draw over an old sketch and then created a brand new sketch for the Grotesque character.

First sketch of the wing.

Second sketch overlay. I can't decide which one I like. :-/

Click on this one to get a better look!

I think this project is going to be a really fun challenge, and having someone to talk to about feedback and ideas is really great!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the haunting sketchery turn into some models!

    I like the first wing, the way the part extending from the body disappears into the outer part makes it look like it has some sort of gross fleshy covering.

    ReplyDelete