Monday, April 12, 2010

Traditional Art Update

I'm finishing up my intro art classes this term and taking the Drawing III class as well so I thought I'd post an update with some photos of my stuff so far!

Printmaking I:

FYI, neither of these are the actual prints, just the drawings I'm using for the etchings. I'll post the actual prints once I've done those.


Our first assignment was to listen to noise or music and draw a 3x3 image of what we heard or felt. This was my favorite one that I drew, it's supposed to be the doppler effect of cars driving by.


Our second assignment was to use letters or numbers in any way we wished. I went through a few ideas before landing on this one. I took a famous quote about language and "translated" it into text/SMS speak. I think this would be a really fun concept to make into a series of some kind with a bunch of quotes. Could you imagine a wall lined with 3x3 squares of babble? :P

The quote is, "Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about." - Benjamin Lee Whorf

Drawing III:

We've had one assignment in Drawing thus far, and it was pretty interesting. We all brought in a past piece and did a critique on those, drew thumbnail images for how we would improve that drawing/painting, and then we were instructed to create a non representational image of that work. Here's the original drawing followed by progress photos of the non representational version:





The whole idea behind the original was to give the viewer the feeling of being watched by some unknown creature beyond the paper. In order to create a non representational version of that I decided to not only break down the geometric properties of the original, but the concept as well. So, for the non representational version the basic concept is that there's something ominous behind those jagged lines and it's coming for you. Despite the simplicity of this drawing, I had a LOT of fun making it!

Painting I:

Our first assignment for Painting I was to do three paintings just abstractly experimenting with color blending. There were a few specifications for each painting, but I won't get into that. I also decided to omit the first painting because I don't like it, haha.



And that's it for now! I'll probably keep doing bulk updates for my traditional art, it's just easier.

1 comment:

  1. okay, i should be studying for crim, but this is SOOO much better. I've already told you how much i love your work, but i'll tell you again. maybe you'll believe me a little more each time? haha anyways..

    i really like the doppler effect idea, it is super cool. so is the txt speak. :) even though i knew the quote it was fun to see what i could come up with what it says.

    as for the eye.. i love it! i don't think i've see that particular one before. but it is awesome. as is the final piece of the nonrepresentational. I am so happy with how it turned out! and it was a lot of fun to see the process of its creation. it was hard for me to visualize the lines, but it turned out awesome. I think that is my favorite piece out of this group of work!

    now for the paintings!! they're both awesome, as i told you already. i think i like the last one better, im not sure why. i am just more drawn to it. haha get it? i really think its the bottom right corner, i just love the way those colors are blended, i dunno, i'm just instantly drawn to that corner.

    anyways this is all amazing, and i love each and every piece and i wish i could steal it all and say its mine. but thats bad and i would never do that. but can i steal it and hang it up in my place? that would be super cool. :)

    ReplyDelete